Sunday, March 23, 2014

Yankee Pot Roast





What is more comforting than Pot Roast and Vegetables?  This meal reminds me of quiet Sundays with my family.  Usually I make roast in the oven, but this recipe was made on the stove top.   This was supposed to be made in a Dutch oven, but since I don't own one, I just used a big soup pot.  To begin, I substituted bacon for side pork, since I had already bought a package of bacon for the previous bacon corn bread recipe.  Fry about 5 pieces of bacon (side pork) in the pot, then remove, leaving the fat in the pot.  Sear both sides of roast in the fat, season with salt and pepper, then add water, fresh parsley and thyme (I used dry thyme), sliced garlic, and a bay leaf (which I forgot to buy).  Simmer slowly, then add carrots, chopped yellow onion, and a turnip (which I could not find at the grocery store).  After 30 minutes add the potatoes and cook until tender.  Make sure there is a cup of water in the pot at all times; add more if necessary.  You can use the leftover juices to make gravy, but I opted to skip this step to keep things more healthy.

So remember the bacon was fried but removed from the pot?  I had 5 pieces of bacon which had no other purpose than providing fat in which to sear the roast.  Yummy fried bacon, just sitting there on a plate, staring at me.  Just sitting there.  Bacon.  On a plate.  Okay okay!  I ended up eating 2 pieces.  I hadn't had bacon for a long time, okay? 

Stay tuned for my next post, and you will find out what I did with the other 3 pieces.

1 comment:

  1. I think you showed considerable self restraint by only eating 2 pieces of bacon! The roast and vegetables look amazingly yummy.

    ReplyDelete